Shepherd's Pie Filling:
- 454g HALOODIES beef diced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- One tin diced tomatoes
Cheddar-Spiked Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- Table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the carrots, onions, and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, for about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside for later.
- Add the HALOODIES beef to the pan and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the beef. Return the vegetables to the pan and stir in the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover the pan, and simmer until the beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and pour over enough water to cover. Set pan over high heat, bring to a boil, and boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return the potatos to the pan.
- Add the cheese and sour cream and mash the potatoes until smooth and well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. At this point, the potatoes should be slightly thin and easy to spread over the beef mixture. If they’re not, add more sour cream or low-fat milk.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a deep dish pie plate or shallow casserole dish. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top and, using the back of a spoon, make an even layer.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet and bake until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes (the baking sheet prevents messy oven cleanups, in case the filling bubbles over).
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving
If you don't want to cook then, you can cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the refrigerator or microwave before baking. There you have it Haloodies, a delicious beef shepherds pie with cheddar plied mashed potato. Is there a better way to enjoy cozy night in? Enjoy!